Just got back from a week in Kuwait upgrading our database down there from 9i to 10g and upgrading our ESRI from 9.0 to 9.1.
I must say upgrading Oracle9i to 10g on a Sun Solaris 10 OS is the most easiest and painless install I’ve ever done. I found out on our Dev box that trying to put 10g on Solaris 8 was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Luckily, I got our UNIX admin on board with upgrading all of our servers to Solaris 10 before I started my production upgrade festivities.
When I got down there we had one database serving up maps and vehicle tracking data. All the tracking data is OLTP oriented and the maps are nothing but a bunch of blobs. The user has the ability to see maps by themselves and vehicle information (text) by itself. The user also has the ability to see maps and the vehicle data at the same time.
The server has plenty of horsepower and space so I decided to break the database into two. I created another database and put the maps on it. I configured it for bulk stuff .One other thing I did was, we have a particular map that automatically loads up when a user first accesses the webpage, I threw that in to the keep pool. Performance is very nice. It’s so refreshing when you have a database configured correctly for the environment it supports.