SQL> exec dbms_stats.gather_index_stats('SCOTT','TIGER_CK');
BEGIN dbms_stats.gather_index_stats('SCOTT','TIGER_CK'); END;
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00904: : invalid identifier
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 8557
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 8577
ORA-06512: at line 1
No problem, I already figured out that if I used ANALYZE TABLE I could work around the error. After about 3 weeks of traces and going back and forth, Oracle acknowledge it was bug 3078144 and was fixed on 10.2.
I requested a backport to my version. After all, I was on a supported version so I figured it wouldn't even be an issue. While I was planning on going to 10.2 eventually, it wasn't in the immediate plans. After the first month, I pinged support to see where my backport was.
"Oh, development denied it because it is a Level 3 SR."
Hmm, that's the game we're playing, eh?
"Well, it's happening every day now and affecting my business", I replied. OK, maybe a little fib, but lets see where it goes.
We agreed to raise it to a Level 2 SR.
Another month went by so I followed up again. Still with development. At this point we started planning the migration to 10.2 (not because of this TAR, but we are gluttons for punishment). It would be a race to see if I got my bug fix or my db upgraded to 10.2 first.
About two weeks ago, I decided to ratchet up the pressure; I "duty managed" the TAR. I got the nicest duty manager who knew how to talk the talk, but I wasn't buyin' what he was sellin'.
"I will give you a call within three business days to let you know the status of the bug fix." was his final reply. A week went by with no update.
Well, this past weekend I won - the database was upgraded to 10.2.0.3+. While I was tempted to keep the TAR open just to see how long it took to resolve, I decided honor was the better part of valor and closed the tar indicating we had upgraded.
I bet I don't get a satisfaction survey on this one.