Friday, March 20, 2009

SQL Developer Connecting to MySQL

We introduced Oracle SQL Developer to our developers about a year ago. They seem to like it for querying Oracle, but the MySQL connectivity was quirky in previous releases.

Now that Oracle SQL Developer 1.5.4 has been released, I figured I'd give it a try again. I downloaded the software and it started right away with no problem (although I wasn't paying attention and I forgot to migrate over my settings).

Once the software starts, go to Tools > Preferences > Database > Third Party JDBC Drivers and choose the appropriate JAR file.

Then I added a connection with the correct parameters and Voila! I was querying MySQL data from an Oracle tool!

2 comments:

rpbouman said...

Hi!

are there any compelling new features in your opinion?

Jeff Hunter said...

are there any compelling new features in your opinion?
I've got to tell you, I don't really use it. It's really more of a development tool and the only thing I use it for is dumping resultsets to a CSV file because it's convenient.