Thursday, July 21, 2005

Preparing for "Oracle Job Scheduling"

I got Tim Hall's new book, Oracle Job Scheduling, a day after I started installing Oracle 10g R2 on my home system. I had just installed it at work on one of my development systems and it was literaly click, click, click, done. I figured it would be about the same at home and I could start learning about the job scheduler that night. Started downloading from OTN and, BAM, filesystem filled up. I guess it wouldn't hurt to remove the old software, right? First I removed 9.2.0.5 and only freed up about a gig. I won't need 10.1 now that I got 10.2, right? So I removed it. Then I started the 10.2.0.1 install and the software seemed to install OK. During the database creation, however, I got an ORA-12547 message. I checked out a couple things on metalink and figure my libaio needs to get updated. Off to rhn.redhat.com to get the right rpm and install it. Then I remake oracle. Finally, oracle starts and I can create the database.

I know I promised Tim I'd review his book on my blog. I open up the book to an icon caricature of Don Burleson giving me a gigantic "thumbs up". I can't deal with this, I'm going to bed.

4 comments:

Tim... said...

:)

Don Burleson said...

"I open up the book to an icon caricature of Don Burleson giving me a gigantic "thumbs up". I can't deal with this, I'm going to bed."

Ha! You made me spit my coffee all over the monitor!

Please don't let my tacit endorsement of Dr. Tim's book influence you. . .

It's my job to promote Tim's book, (I paid the publishing expenses out of my own pocket), but I really, really think he has done an outstanding job with an important Oracle topic. . .

Anonymous said...

Don Burleson said...

It's my job to promote Tim's book, (I paid the publishing expenses out of my own pocket)...

You must be having a very big pocket! Don't you?!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...I still haven't opened Robin Schumacher that I gotten free from OpenWorld last year...

I don't think you can avoid that since Rampant Press is owned by DKB.