Saturday, September 17, 2005

We're doing MySQL

My manager called me into his office the other day and explained how we were going to put our first MySQL database up. It's a relatively simple app with 99% read activity and some batch loads in the night. This wasn't a total surprise as I did some investigation into MySQL about a year ago and determined that for the right types of application it would be adequate.

We've got some of the basics up in development already, but I feel like I'm a newbie all over again. When I can't figure something out, I say "That's how it works in Oracle" and need to step outside the box to figure it out.

This week is training in NYC. Five days of the basics will hopefully get me up to speed where I can be relatively proficient. Expect some blog entries next week about the differences between MySQL and Oracle.

2 comments:

Tim... said...

Oracle=Expensive
mySQL=Cheap

:)

Jeff Hunter said...


Oracle=Expensive
mySQL=Cheap

In terms of "you get what you pay for?"