Here I sit, another Friday night in the office. Tonight’s drama is saying goodbye to the last remaining Oracle 184.108.40.206 database.
About 18 months ago, we were like firecrackers; an upgrade most every weekend. We knocked out most of the small (<100G) ones using DBUA. Then we started on the mission critical stuff; lots of testing and diagnosing query plans that changed for the worse. Through it all, we learned a lot about 9i and how it was different than 8i.
Our final database has been a royal pain. The first time we attempted the upgrade, we ran into OS errors and found out our version of DBUA wasn’t compatible with the OS version. Instead of upgrading an old machine, we decided to move it to an under utilized machine. So we attempted again. Then something went wrong with the upgrade. So we restored, and researched the problem. Tonight, (fingers crossed), we’ll be off 220.127.116.11 for good.
On to 10g.