Thursday, February 02, 2006

CSS and XHTML

I got a gift certificate to Borders for Christmas last month. Since I live within walking distance of the nearest Borders bookstore, the gift certificates don't last very long.

I made a bee-line for the back of the store (as usual) and went straight to the Oracle section. We've done some initial prototypes with HTML DB and I was looking for a good book to help expand my knowledge. Come to find out, there's only one book on HTML DB out, but the one I was looking for doesn't come out until the end of the month.

While the wife was perusing the romance novels, I started thumbing through the CSS and XHTML selections thinking I might spruce up the blog. I got about 10 pages into the first book and couldn't follow it. I thought maybe the book was over technical, so I picked up another one. I started reading that one and after a while, just didn't get it either. Maybe I'll just stick with the templates...

7 comments:

Carlos said...

"I might spruce up the blog."

Don't touch a comma!

I like it just how it is now! ;-))

Cheers.

Carlos.

Jeff Hunter said...

I want to make the text width a little bigger, but am not really sure how to do it...

William Robertson said...

I read "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide" by Eric Meyer (O'Reilly) from cover to cover, trying out some of the examples. I'm still a beginner at CSS but it all makes a heck of a lot more sense now.

I wonder how the guys who wrote the HTML DB book feel about the new name.

Jeff Hunter said...

I wonder how the guys who wrote the HTML DB book feel about the new name.

The book is not shipping until 2/28. Maybe they have time to change the title?

my word: xpspy - sounds like a new class of malware.

Howard J. Rogers said...

I want to make the text width a little bigger, but am not really sure how to do it...

Well, if you check your page source, you'll find that you don't actually own your CSS. It's coming to you live from www.typepad.com.

If you could alter the BODY section of http://www.typepad.com/.shared/themes/lilia/theme-powell-street.css, however, and alter the WIDTH attribute from 760px to -oh, I on't know, 860px;, you'd alter your text width. Chances are you'd bugger other things up whilst you're doing it thoug... that nice banner of yours is a graphic that looks suspiciously like it's 760 pixels wide for starters, but that's nothing a bit of image stretching in The Gimp couldn't fix...

shahidsidd said...

Nice and knowledgeable sites for everyone-
booksshelf
knowledge
books
liberary
kitaben
Books and references
books
tutorial books

lipitor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.