Sunday, June 05, 2005

Ever Notice?

Did you ever notice how four day weeks turn into 60 hour weeks? Monday (the holiday, of course) started out with a call about report X running 3 times longer than normal. After a couple of conversations with the developer found out that the execution plan had changed over the weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday had me figuring out why a query between two tables was doing 140+ LIOs per row and killing scalabiligy. Thursday I got to do a little research on statistics and partitioned tables. Friday, a developer comes to me and says the optimizer is choosing one plan when using the OCI JDBC Driver and another using the thin JDBC Driver. I say "No Way", we run some tests, and sure enough different plans. Maybe this week I'll get to finish my research on statistics. Arrr....

No comments: