Thursday, January 19, 2006

Cubeville

I had to snicker at an article in Computerworld entitled Private Office or Cubicle: The Debate Goes On. Maybe the word "debate" is a little strong, yet it's still a controversial subject at many companies.

Except for a brief stint as a Project Manager, I've always shared my space with somebody. Mostly cube farms, but occasionally an office with another party. When I work at home, I seem to get more done. Is that because at home I concentrate on tasks that I can do remotely or because I don't have interruptions? I don't know. I do know I like poking my head over the partition and asking the person next to me a question.

Sure, there are times I'd like my own office; getting into a discussion of how Oracle or MySQL works, annual performance reviews, and interviewing. But for those few times I need an office, there are plenty of conference rooms available.

The debate goes on: Cube or Office?

6 comments:

Tim... said...

Four people, no windows, limited airflow, no partitions. It's the only way to work :)

Cheers

Tim...

Jeff Hunter said...

Hopefully everyone is issued a can of Right Guard in their "Welcome Packet".

David Aldridge said...

Once upon a time: ten people in a square room with desks around the edge, two servers, no windows, no partitions ... ugh.

Anonymous said...

No give me my office any day .... along with my email, video phone, chat rooms and any other way I can limit direct human contact.

In case you haven't guessed I am kidding. I to enjoy the ability to converse with my collegues. And would hate being at work without it.

Additionally, some of the new schools of management thought purport that the more open an office, from layout to paypackets to heirarchy, the better. For more info on this read Maverick by Ricardo Semler. There lots of similar case studies this is just the one that sticks out from my uni days.

Jeff Hunter said...

two servers, no windows...

...you had me at no windows...

Anonymous said...

Neither cube nor office allows proper control over the times one needs privacy/concentration and times one needs to interact.