Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Upgrading to R12

Upgrading Oracle Applications is never an easy process. I like to test my upgrades both for completeness as well as performance so I can give my users a semi-accurate picture of how long things will take.

I'm doing a direct upgrade from 11.5.9.CU2 to R12 (probably CU3). I got to the point where the db objects are upgraded and received the following message:
There are now 126521 jobs remaining (current phase=A3):
6 running, 951 ready to run and 125564 waiting
OK, then. When I upgraded from 11.5.3 to 11.5.9, the object upgrade portion took about 26 hours, but I was on a slower box (Sun 2x900 with 8G RAM) and Oracle 9.2.0.7. Now I'm on a Sun 4x1200 with 16G of RAM and Oracle 10.2.0.3. This is only my first attempt at upgrading and I'll look at the AWR stats after to see where my bottlenecks were during the upgrade.

Any guesses on how long this upgrade run will take?

3 comments:

Eric Moe said...

Maybe somewhere around 10-12 hours? I just started my first upgrade attempt from 11.5.9 CU2 to 12 a few days ago. There have been a few bumps in the road and a few SR's to open for failed jobs so far. We'll see how it goes....

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

It's been a few years since I've worked on Solaris hardware. All I have to offer is the following from our Intel test server. Then again, there might be too many variables involved to get anything more than a really rough guess.

CPU: 2x 3GHz Xeon
RAM: 4GB
RDBMS: 10.2.0.2
Starting R11 version: 11.5.10.2
Elapsed time for patch 4440000: 17.5 hours

Also worth noting that my initial job count was around 96000, not 126000. Unsurprisingly, there seems to be more work to do when going from 11.5.9->12.0 than 11.5.10->12.0.

Be sure to budget significant additional time for the RUP3 patch after applying the base R12 upgrade patch. On the above test system, RUP3 took about 7 hours to apply.

Good luck with your upgrade, and get those functional teams spun up for testing...our experience thus far has been that the technical side of the upgrade is relatively smooth, but you can expect a fair bit of work on the functional side. :-)

Regards,

John P.

Anonymous said...

pleased to hear that the technical side of the upgrade went ok.
the amount of data in some of your tables is going to play a big part in the speed of the upgrade. Some of the jobs move quite a bit of data in the fin tables.
Keep us updated with your experiences