Friday, February 08, 2008

Fun & Games, Part III

The main TAR had been in "Review" status for 24 hours, so I duty managed it. I usually don't like to duty manage things because if you cry wolf enough, eventually nobody will listen.

The analyst updated the TAR and wanted the results from about a dozen URLs along with another half dozen log files.

Aha, trying to bury me, are you?

After an hour of trying the URLs (which 90% of them were from 11.5.9 and didn't work in R12), I assembled the output and packaged in a nice neat .tar file. As expected, it went back to "Review" status.

Yesterday I had something else to do, so I wasn't very diligent in following up. Which was OK, because there was nothing to follow up with. My TAR remained in "Review" status for the whole day.

This morning I had some free time, so I duty managed my TAR again. Within 20 minutes, the analyst handed the TAR off to another group by creating a "spinoff" and marked the original TAR as "Awaiting Internal Response".

It will end up being a 2 second fix, I just know it. A week later, and I'm still waiting for the slightest bit of help.

3 comments:

Noons said...

Yup, I know exactly the feeling...

But it's not just applications: few months ago went through the same motions for a simple Peoplesoft-related problem.

Eventually solved, much later, by turning on so many undocumented init.ora parameters we ended up with a brain-damaged optimizer!

Fortunately we had the chance to upgrade to 10.2.0.3 which had all the fixes needed.

Unfortunately, not a peep of support from the organizations who are supposed to represent interests of users to Oracle: in fact, for them it's never been better!...

Jeff Hunter said...

Unfortunately, not a peep of support from the organizations who are supposed to represent interests of users to Oracle: in fact, for them it's never been better!...
I know! You pay your annual blood money and you're lucky if you get help on 1/3 of your issues.

Anonymous said...

One out of 3? Wish my success rate with oracle support was that good.