Friday, March 17, 2006

Reading "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals"

I started reading Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals by Jonathan Lewis last night. In the very beginning he suggests reading the book in its entirety as a first pass and then reading it again for more detail.

"Bah", I thought to myself, "I need to get on to Tom Kyte's book, I don't have time to read it twice."

On page 2 I pulled out the highlighter.

Page 6, eight highlighted passages.

By page 9 I had abandonded the highlighter and proceeded with casual reading. Tom will have to wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are not the only one. I have (yet unopened) Jonathan's new book and Tom's new book, along with the (opened) Brad Brown HTML DB book.

If Jonathan's book is anything like Cary Millsap's Optimizing Oracle Performance it will probably get read 5 or 6 times.

So many good oracle books so little time!

Anonymous said...

Reading Tom's Expert One-on-One (8i edition) provided a quantum leap in my understanding of Oracle fundamentals (locking, read consistency and so on). The quality of the book and my ignorance of Oracle fundamentals were equally responsible. From a developer perspective, not a lot of Oracle fundamentals have changed between 8i and 10g. So I know the new book is not going to be the same experience for me. I can get to it after I finish all the unread stuff.

Right now I am as ignorant about the optimizer as I was about fundamentals before. So Jonathan's book is really elevating my understanding in that area. Kind of the same experience I had reading Tom's original book a few years back.

Tom's new book has a pdf of the original one though. So much easier to find stuff that you know is in there.